Texans struggling to pay rent and facing possible eviction can turn to a new website — Stop TX Eviction — to find a step-by-step tool kit designed to help them understand the eviction process and their rights.
The website, stoptxeviction.org, is available in English and Spanish. There, renters can:
- Obtain important documents to give a landlord or judge,
- Learn about rental assistance and how to apply for it,
- Apply for legal assistance from an agency that provides free legal services to qualifying individuals,
- Chat with a lawyer about eviction-related questions, and
- Learn about the new Texas Eviction Diversion Program, which intends to use $171 million in federal money to help tenants remain in their homes.
Stop TX Eviction is a project of Texas RioGrande Legal Aid, Texas Legal Services Center, Lone Star Legal Aid, and Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas. It was made possible through funding from the Texas Access to Justice Foundation.