A toll-free legal assistance hotline is available to low-income individuals and families across Texas who are confronted with civil legal problems as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. People may call 800-504-7030 toll-free to be connected with legal service providers in their area.
Areas of legal assistance or guidance include:
- Bankruptcy and debt-collection matters;
- Employment issues, unemployment applications and appeals;
- Child custody, visitation, and support issues;
- Life, medical, and property insurance claims;
- Mortgage or foreclosure problems;
- Public benefits issues (e.g., Medicaid, SNAP/food stamps, Social Security);
- Healthcare directives and powers of attorney;
- Consumer protection issues such as price-gouging and scams;
- Landlord-tenant problems;
- Disability discrimination; and
- Family and domestic violence concerns
Individuals who qualify for assistance will be matched with Texas lawyers who can provide free legal help. Callers should be aware there are some limitations on the legal services available.
This service is a partnership among the State Bar of Texas, the state’s legal aid agencies, volunteer organizations, and access-to-justice organizations who are joining together to assist in this time of crisis. Read the full news release here.