The State Bar of Texas Board of Directors will hold its quarterly meeting at 9 a.m. MDT on April 29 in El Paso. Attorneys and members of the public can attend the meeting in person or watch it live on the State Bar’s YouTube channel.
Public comment will be accepted in person or via Zoom or telephone. Those who wish to address the board in person should fill out a speaker card onsite and submit it to a staff member. To sign up to speak remotely, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 204-2222, ext. 1713 (toll free) before 5 p.m. CDT on April 28. Written comments regarding agenda items may be sent to email@example.com and must be received before 5 p.m. CDT on April 27 for timely distribution to the directors before the meeting.
Find the complete agenda and background materials here.
Among the agenda items, the board will:
- Consider and discuss approval of the bar’s proposed 2022-2023 budget for presentation to the Texas Supreme Court.
- Vote to elect a chair of the board for the 2022-2023 bar year. The candidates are Chad Baruch (Dallas), David Calvillo (Houston), Lucy Forbes (Houston), and D. Todd Smith (Austin).
- Consider and discuss approval of the submission of proposed revisions to the Texas Lawyer’s Creed to the Texas Supreme Court and Court of Criminal Appeals for consideration.
- Consider and discuss approval of the referral of recommendations from the Court Rules Committee regarding Texas Rule of Civil Procedure 193.7 and Texas Rule of Appellate Procedure 39.7 to the Texas Supreme Court for consideration.
- Consider the appointment of two at-large directors—Modinat “Abby” Kotun (Houston) and Elizabeth Sandoval Cantu (Edinburg) for three-year terms beginning in June.
- Hear an update on the Discipline & Client-Attorney Assistance Program Subcommittee’s review of the report of the Task Force on Public Protection, Grievance Review, and the Client Security Fund.
- Hear updates from the Building Planning Special Committee and the Redistricting Task Force.