The Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program, or DVAP, and Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas bested themselves with a record-breaking funding of $1,169,349 for pro bono legal services to the poor. Part of the “Equal Access to Justice Campaign,” the money helps provide assistance to over 4,000 low-income families with civil legal needs.
In addition to using the campaign proceeds to expand community work, DVAP will continue to find ways to keep access to courts open in Dallas in order to serve the more than 600,000 people who meet legal aid’s financial guidelines for assistance. DVAP will look to recruit more volunteer attorneys to represent clients in complex cases and contested family law cases.
The following made donations of $10,500 or more:
- Champion of Justice ($40,500)—Debra and E. Leon Carter
- President’s Council ($35,500)—Jerry and Sherri Alexander; Connatser Family Law; Crain Lewis Brogdon; and Hartline Dacus Barger Dreyer
- Chairman’s Council ($25,500)—Anonymous; Lisa Blue and Jeff Tillotson
- Gold Patron ($20,000)—Margaret and Jaime Spellings
- Diamond Sponsors ($15,500)—AT&T; Dallas Association of Young Lawyers; and Mike A. Myers
- Platinum Sponsors ($10,500)—Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld; Botts; the Dallas Bar Association Business Litigation Section; DBA Corporate Counsel Section; Deans & Lyons; Exxon Mobil Corporation; Fears Nachawati Law Firm; the Hartnett Law Firm; Haynes and Boone Foundation; Jackson Walker; Jones Day; KASTL LAW; Kirkland & Ellis; Latham & Watkins; Locke Lord; Mike McKool; Schiff Hardin; Sidley Austin; Thompson & Knight Foundation; Trinity Industries; Vinson & Elkins; Vistra Energy; and Winston & Strawn
For more information on DVAP or the Equal Access to Justice Campaign, contact Michelle Alden, DVAP director, at email@example.com or (214) 748-1234.