In a report released by the Legal Services Corporation’s private attorney involvement, or PAI, section, Texas was named 2018’s top state for combined pro bono and compensated cases closed at 7,365.

LSC, an independent corporation created by Congress to fund legal assistance to low-income individuals, examined the services of legal aid programs it assists nationwide in “LSC By the Numbers: The Data Underlying Legal Aid Programs.”

Of the 7,365 cases handled by LSC grantees in Texas, 6,398, or 86.9%, were pro bono. The remaining 967, or 13.1%, comprised compensated cases.

The report further found that at the state level, Texas leads the nation in veteran households served, accounting for nearly 7,000, or 17.3% of all veteran households served by LSC grantees.

Among LSC grantees in Texas are Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas, which received more than $10.4 million in total LSC funding; Lone Star Legal Aid, which received more than $11.3 million; and Texas RioGrande Legal Aid, which received about $15 million.

The full report is available online.

For more information on pro bono opportunities through the State Bar of Texas, please visit the Legal Access Division online.