The Harris County judiciary and Houston Bar Association presented their Bench Bar Pro Bono Awards at a ceremony May 2.
Law firms, individuals, and a corporate legal department received the accolades for their work to provide legal services to low-income Harris County residents.
The awards were established eight years ago in an effort to encourage pro bono work in the area.
Anthony Graves, the 138th exonerated death row inmate in the U.S., was the keynote speaker at the event, stressing the importance of pro bono service.
Harris County Administrative Judge Robert Schaffer of the 152nd District Court and Houston Bar Association President Laura Gibson presented the following awards for outstanding pro bono service in 2015:
- Large Firm – Vinson & Elkins
- Mid-size Firm – Gibbs & Bruns
- Small Firm – Coane & Associates
- Corporation – Exxon Mobil Corporation Law Department
- Individual – Lan T. Nguyen of Shortt & Nguyen