Texas community to celebrate historic courthouse renovation

Over the years, the Edwards County Courthouse in Rocksprings, Texas, has endured some tough times. In 1897, a fire gutted the building; in 1927, a deadly tornado struck town, causing additional structural damage and need for repair.

photo courtesy of Ashley Rupp, Edwards County

But 2010 brought a turn of luck.

That year, the courthouse, first constructed in 1891, was selected to receive a grant from the Texas Historical Commission through the Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program. The $99,333 in funding, combined with an additional $1,334,814 major construction grant from the program in 2013, has allowed the photo courtesy of Ashley Rupp, Edwards Countystructure to be remodeled to its original splendor, and a rededication ceremony will celebrate the update over this year’s Fourth of July weekend.

Texas has more historic courthouses than any other state, and Edwards is one of dozens of counties that have benefited from the historic preservation initiative, which was established in 1999 by then-Gov. George W. Bush.

Rocksprings will commemorate the Edwards County Courthouse restoration at 9 a.m. Saturday, July 5 with a reception on the square’s south lawn. The ceremony will be held in conjunction with the 85th Annual Edwards County Fourth of July Celebration, which features a parade, live music, a rodeo, and a goat cook-off, among other activities.

For more information on the rededication, contact Debra L. Wolcott, chair of the Edwards County Historical Commission, at (713) 515-2780.

To learn more about the Texas Historical Commission’s Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program, go to thc.state.tx.us/preserve.

Photos courtesy of Ashley Rupp, Edwards County

Cameron County Commissioners Court accepts donation of restored minutes

On August 15, the Cameron County Commissioners Court accepted the donation of the restored minutes of the District Court of Cameron County from 1885 through 1891. The book was restored due to the generosity of Judge Migdalia Lopez of the 197th District Court and her husband, Nemecio Lopez. Among the cases memorialized in the books were the proceedings of King v. Cavazos, a court ruling that led to the development of the King Ranch.

From left: Judge Mark Davidson, a member of the Texas Bar Historical Foundation; Aurora de la Garza, Cameron County District Clerk, Cameron County Judge Carlos Cascos, Judge Migdalia Lopez, and Nemecio Lopez.