The State Bar of Texas today announced recipients of the 2012 Texas Gavel Awards to honor journalistic excellence in legal reporting. The following reporters will be presented with an award on August 10 at the Freedom of Information Foundation of Texas annual conference in Austin:
- Jordan Smith, The Austin Chronicle, “The Science of Injustice”
- Kevin Krause and Ed Timms, The Dallas Morning News, “Bail Bondsmen: Working the Numbers”
- Jeff Prince, Fort Worth Weekly, “The Power of Alienation”
- Mandy Oaklander, Houston Press, “Life Without Parole”
- Andrew Horansky, KVUE-TV, “Criminalizing Kids”
- Cindy V. Culp, Waco Tribune-Herald, “Perils and Pitfalls in the Pursuit of Innocence”
The Texas Gavel Awards are sponsored by the State Bar of Texas Public Affairs Committee and judged by an independent panel that includes out-of-state editors and legal reporting experts.
Journalists play an important role in educating the public about the legal system and the Texas Gavel Awards honor those efforts.