State Bar of Texas Blog
Do you have the "write" stuff?
New year, new you, right? Of course! We may not be able to help you shave off those few extra pounds you’ve been wanting to shed, but we can help you get ahead of deadlines. Okay, maybe just one deadline, but that’s a start, right?
The 2011 Texas Bar Journal Short Story Fiction Writing Contest is in full swing. (We’ve already received a couple of stories! Whoooo!) The June 2011 issue of the Texas Bar Journal will feature the top four stories, as judged by our independent panel.
This year, we’ve decided to give a 21st Century twist to the contest by allowing you to send your story via email (I’ll get to that address later, I promise). Deadline to send your story is 5 p.m. CST March 1, 2011. Seriously folks. 5 p.m. CST March 1, 2011. Anything received after 5:00:01 p.m. CST will be sent into the email ether.
Here’s the rest of the lowdown on the contest:
• Stories must deal with or be related to the law or lawyers in some fashion.
• You must be an eligible Texas Bar member in good standing to enter and you can’t serve on the boards of the State Bar or the Texas Bar Journal.
• Only one entry per person.
• Stories should be up to 2,000 words and be previously unpublished.
• Entries MUST be submitted via email in Word or WordPerfect as an attachment. (No PDFs!) Do not send your story in the body of the email. A cover sheet that includes the author’s name, story title, author’s complete mailing address, email address, phone number, and word count must accompany each story. The author’s name should not appear on the story; only the title should appear on the manuscript.
• Format: Any font; size 12; 1.5 spacing.
Make sure you take a second look at your story before you click “Send,” as revised versions will not be accepted once an entry is received.
Send your story and a completed entry form to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 p.m. CST March 1, 2011.